How we discovered DWJ (w/Spellcoats follow-up)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Fri Apr 19 11:58:44 EDT 2002

My mother's old French teacher, an Englishwoman named Miss Vickery,
was the closest thing I had to a godparent. She found out I really
liked Penelope Farmer, Astrid Lindgren's THE BROTHERS LIONHEART, and
Susan Cooper, and gave me the Puffin
swirly-watercolor-flying-kids-in-bell-bottoms cover THE OGRE
DOWNSTAIRS. The rest is history.

By the way, re: the older discussion of what era SPELLCOATS was set,
I noticed last night that very early in the book it talks about the
soldiers wearing "scarlet rugcoats with still suits under them,"
which would imply some ways into the iron age... This may already
have been mentioned and settled, but it stuck out at me

Nat Case