How we discovered DWJ

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Apr 19 06:33:00 EDT 2002

Kylie asked:

> There seem to be a few people on the list who discoverd DWJ through Harry
> Potter related recommendations.  I discovered DWJ when I was in school and
> was reading everything in the library.  Dogsbody was one of the library
> books I took out.
>
> How did other people make the discovery?

I'm sure this is a discussion we've had before.  But I'm equally sure that I
have never before been in the majority by reading Dogsbody as my first DWJ!

I was 9 or 10, so it must have been in 1976 or '77.  I was in children's section
of public library.  Up walks Papa, looks at shelf near where I was browsing.
"Oh, look.  Here's a book called 'Dogsbody'!" he says.  We borrowed it.  I was
hooked...

I do recall, a year later, sitting the entrance exam for Wells Cathedral School,
one of the things we kids were asked was what was our favourite book.  I wrote,
"Power of Three by Diana Whynne [sic] Jones".

At that stage, we (the whole family was hooked by then!) were still borrowing
the books from public libraries, but it wasn't long before we decided we had to
have our own copies.  In hardback if they were still available...

Venkarel also remarked:

> Oh, and there is a new bulletin up at
> dianawynnejones.com about _The Merlin Conspiracy_.
> Whee, more Magids and Nick, too.

Wow.  I was hoping it would be about Martellian, though.  ;-)

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970