How we discovered DWJ

Fri Apr 19 02:03:08 EDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:20:05 -0400, Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) wrote:

>There seem to be a few people on the list who discoverd DWJ through Harry
>Potter related recommendations.  I discovered DWJ when I was in school and
>was reading everything in the library.  Dogsbody was one of the library
>books I took out.
>
>How did other people make the discovery?

I found _Power of Three_ at random in the library.  Read it, liked it, moved
on.  I still have no idea why it took another five years to actually
"discover" DWJ with _Howl's Moving Castle_, which was recommended to me by a
friend.  I remember that it was in a telephone conversation because it took
several tries for me to understand what she was saying:  "HOW's Moving
Castle?" "No, HOWL." "HOWELL?"  "No--never mind, I'll spell it for you...."

It occurs to me that I found all of my most favorite authors and books
because of the recommendations of only three people: my oldest friend, whom
I've known since second grade; a girl I met at girls' camp in Texas; and one
of my college roommates.  And they account for at least ten or twelve solid
author recommendations between them--people whose books I still read and
cherish today.  Seems a little strange to me, to wonder if I might have
missed something if I hadn't been friends with them.  It is extremely
unlikely that I would have found Diana Wynne Jones, because I am the one who
has introduced all my friends to her.  What a precarious thing that is.

Melissa Proffitt