How we discovered DWJ

christian nutt ferricide at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 19 00:14:30 EDT 2002

>From: "Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC)"
>
>How did other people make the discovery?

this is not much of a story. when i was 12 (or thereabouts) and the
appropriate age to be browsing in the 'intermediate' section of the
bookstore, my mother took me book shopping after a dentist's appointment. my
mom would take me book shopping a lot, actually. i didn't complain. =)

i used to just browse for books in that section of the store, with no idea
what any of them were about besides the copy on the back cover. quite often
i walked away with something along the lines of "my teacher is an alien and
i am going to wish i get turned into a dog so we can stop the world from
being turned into a mall so we can go to the dance together" type stuff.

i picked out lives of christopher chant despite the cover illustration. i
can't find it online, but it goes along with this edition of charmed life,
and is similar but actually *worse*. (it depicts christopher's first meeting
with dr. pawson, without any of the visual excitement you might expect.
maybe they were trying to go for christopher's 'vague' look.)

http://www.suberic.net/dwj/pix/covers/charmed_us_pb.jpg

shortly after reading LoCC which left me absolutely stunned and delighted, i
ran out and bought that edition of CL. =) then i lucked into a nice
seventies hardback of CL that i still treasure -- with neat and utterly
dated artwork -- which was in the bargain books section of my local kmart,
along with warlock at the wheel. i devoured those. intermittently i'd take
DWJ books out of the library (i remember having some difficulty with fire
and hemlock and thinking howl was decent from around that time, but i didn't
buy either until much later after i'd rediscovered DWJ.)

christian

PS: i'll fire back a survey question. since i brought up 'warlock at the
wheel,' what's everyone's favorite DWJ short story? i'd have to vote for 'a
plague of peacocks' or 'dragon reserve home eight,' i think.