OT: Douglas Adams and British English question

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 06:26:05 EDT 2002

> Just looking for some opinions here. I receibed a catalogue
> the other day that is offering the video for Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy.  I've
> never seen it, because I can't find it anywhere, but it's not
> cheap, and so I was hoping someone out there would share their honest
> opinion: worth buying, or not?

Um. Worth buying, but not for a lot of money, unless you really really love
HHG. The actors who play Trillian and Zaphod aren't very good, nor are the
special effects. There are animations showing entries in the Guide, and they
are terrific, and the guy who does Arthur is good, but otherwise the radio
show knocks spots off this.

> A question for those of you who live in Britian.  I was reading a Ruth
> Rendell novel (the one called Adam and Eve and Pinch Me) and the
> characters used the expression "OTT."

Over The Top -it started as a description of bad actors, I think, and
spread. A house  could be decorated in an OTT way, pretending to be a
palace- overstuffed with pretentious knicknacks and full of ruffles and
tassels and so on. Of course one could also be deliberately OTT for comic
effect (was there a TV comedy show called OTT? With Lenny Henry?) ObDWJ-
Torquil from Archer's Goon (Do I mean Torquil? The one with the Egyptian
costumes.)
Jennifer