OT: Douglas Adams and British English question

lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
Wed Apr 17 18:02:47 EDT 2002

Just looking for some opinions here. I receibed a catalogue the other day
that is offering the video for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I've
never seen it, because I can't find it anywhere, but it's not cheap, and
so I was hoping someone out there would share their honest opinion: worth
buying, or not?

A question for those of you who live in Britian.  I was reading a Ruth
Rendell novel (the one called Adam and Eve and Pinch Me) and the
characters used the expression "OTT."  IIRC (and I probably don't, this
was a while agao), a character described a neighborhood that way. Anyone
have any idea what this might mean?  It seemed like it mught be
pejorative, but that was all I could get from context.

Thanks in advance,
Laurie