Re new US Ogre downstairs

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Apr 17 09:22:47 EDT 2002

Michelle wrote:

> Also, in Elizabeth Goudge's A Little
> White Horse (anyone detecting a theme?), in the new edition, Maria doesn't
> carry a reticule, she has a pocket. If you don't know what a reticule is,
> surely you could look it up?  A pocket isn't the same thing at all!

I thought they were the same at the time - both little fabric pouches (hence
pockets) for carrying around small things you might need - just as we use
the sewn in pockets in our clothes today.

As in:

Lucy Locket lost her pocket
Kitty Fisher found it.... (I forget the rest).

Is a reticule different? I had always assumed it was not.

Anita