ogre downstairs -- behold the crap edition! (lengthy, and spoily)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Apr 17 06:20:12 EDT 2002

A textual change I wasn't able to comment on last time, but I looked up last
night:

> one more thing that i recall is that in the crap edition, douglas says (this
> is from my head) "Are you going to lend it me?" and in the new US says, "Are
> you going to lend it to me?" Now, they didn't really get rid of any other
> anglicisms like that in the new US edition, so i wonder, again, which one
> matches the original text. then again, if you're a kid in the US, "are you
> going to lend it me?" parses like you're asking if the listener is going to
> lend you to his belonging. =) someone in the US would say "are you going to
> lend me it?" (or "lend it to me?" as it appears in the new edition.)

The original, or rather the Puffin edition, has "lend it me".  My guess is that
an American editor thought that this was a misprint...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970