ogre downstairs

Mon Apr 15 20:49:22 EDT 2002

The copy I have is the first US edition--E.P. Dutton 1975.  From Christian's
report it appears to be identical to the new US edition.  (My copy has a
very cool cover, all swirly pencil and people flying around, and a
lavender/white background.  It is FAR superior to later ones.)  I'm guessing
it reprinted the original text, because all the expressions are British:
dustbin for garbage can, chips for French fries, etc.  I didn't notice if
they'd changed the spellings to US standard though.

Anyway, I'm glad the new edition is better.  I don't like reprintings that
try to "update" books to make them theoretically more acceptable to a modern
audience.  But I am an old fart anyway.

Melissa Proffitt