new US ogre downstairs.

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 12:49:04 EDT 2002

Ania wrote:

> I have the 1977 UK pbk edition (ex-library, 20 pence!) with a watercolour
> picture of three kids flying, wearing blue jeans and what would now be
> termed 'retro' trainers (sneakers in American, I believe). It looks like

I suppose they would.  But the book was written in that period!

(That's the edition I have.  Puffin, I think)

> the first UK pbk ed., so it's probably changes-less. I shall read it
> tonight, after I've finished rereading Weirdstone of Brisingamen.
> I shall report thereafter

I'm between books at this moment (Finished CJ Cherryh's "Wave without a Shore"
last night.  A new twist to the "lonely heart alien" theme!) so I shall do the
same.

Christian wrote:

> the new US edition does change words to US spellings i.e. "center" for
> "centre" and "moldy" for "mouldy" but for some reason left "petrol." also,
> both editions have different things they like to hyphenate. UK: "guitar
> solo" vs. US: "guitar-solo." UK: "dining-room" vs. US: "dining room." i
> don't get it. i'd go with "guitar solo" and "dining room" personally.

Weird!  I, despite being on the other side of the Atlantic, would probably go
with you on those two.  Definitely "guitar solo", and probably "dining room".
Certainly if it's a noun.  As an adjective, I'd accept a hyphen but probably
forget to write one.  (I think "in the dining room" but "on the dining-room
table" are recommended forms over here)

> more to come.

OK, let's all compare notes tomorrow.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970