Re Dalemark Chronology

Fri Apr 12 23:50:25 EDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:36:37 -0400 (EDT), deborah wrote:

>The counter problem is people who believe any alternate world
>books are automatically fantasy.  This happens to Cynthia Voigt's
>Jackaroo/Wings of the Falcon/On Fortune's Wheel/Elske world.  Not
>a spec of magic, just a world that isn't ours.  but with our
>physics and biology and such.

So, does a book have to have magic in order to be called "fantasy"?

This was an issue with a book I reviewed last year.  The title is _The White
Dove_ and I had very low expectations because it began with a little
sermonette by the author, essentially saying that it was a fantasy, but not
the kind with magic in it.  Just people triumphing over evil by their common
virtues of honesty, faith, etc. instead of depending on nonexistent "magic".
I have issues with this attitude--fortunately the book wasn't so hardnosed.
But it made me wonder why the author felt so compelled to explain that it
wasn't a magical fantasy.  And what, then, do you call it?  Alternate
history has a well-carved niche, but this was its own world (despite being
primarily a story about revolution, using themes and events derived from
"real" history).  Does it fit into the very broad category of fantasy, or is
it something else?

Melissa Proffitt