Snyder

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Apr 12 20:30:17 EDT 2002

In a message dated 4/12/2002 4:19:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time, JOdel at aol.com
writes:

>  The story [The Changeling] is also told so solidly from Marty's viewpoint
that you realize
>  that she is so wrapped up in how the world affects HER that she is missing
> an
>  amazing amount of what her friend Ivy is going through. It's the kind of
>  thing she is only likely to start realizing now that she's done her memory
>  lane number. (I predict that for the next several weeks she is going to
have

>  the back of her mind kicking her at odd intervals going "...and ANOTHER
>  thing...")

Which actually makes it quite a lot like _Fire and Hemlock_ in some ways, no?

I've just been re-reading _A Room Made of Windows_, by Eleanor Cameron,
featuring another very wrapped-up-in-herself heroine, but one who's got
people all over her trying to get her to be less so. "You're a selfish kid,"
is practically the first thing anyone says to her in the book. But she isn't
being selfish for selfish reasons, if you see what I mean.

Helen Schinske