Which DWJ?

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Fri Apr 12 15:13:16 EDT 2002

Deborah:  <<Just out of curiosity, are you focusing on narrative ...
ambiguity (as a better term than unreliability)?  Because that's the
first thing that come to mind on just glancing at this lot. (Which makes
either Howl's or F&H a great choice.)<><

Me:  Not consciously, but I think that must be something that interests
me, because you're right--that's all over the place, isn't it?  And Mr.
Was is also very much in this mode of ambiguity.  It's told in first
person narration, through pseudo-documents and "found" journals, and is
VERY convincing in some ways.  But ambiguous!  How funny.  Now I'll have
to go look at my reading lists for other courses and see if that's a
"theme"!

By the way, I teach at California State University, Northridge, in the
English department.  I'm in my third year here, and this is my first
tenure track job.  And I'm having a GREAT time!  Sometimes I can't
believe they pay me to do this!  My specialty is children's and
adolescent literature...

Alex:  <><I am a teacher and for the 15/16 year age group I found that
Gogol's  Dairy of a Madman was the most successful text that I did with a
clas ever because of the way in which it combines comedy and tragedy -
it's short too!  I think it might be a great text for your students to
use if they will end up trying> to teach kids about comedy because it
uses many different forms of it and is laugh out loud funny too...that's
why the ending comes as such a shock.<><

Me:  I'll have to read that one.  Waiting for Godot is subheaded "a
Tragicomedy" and we had a good time actually playing out one of the
scenes, which is when you really can understand the black humor.  You're
right--this did make it go over well.

Jackie