Which DWJ?

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Fri Apr 12 12:53:05 EDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, jackie e stallcup wrote:

|Thank you, everyone for such quick and useful replies!  These made me
|mull over my "needs and purposes" some more.  One thing that I try to do
|a lot of in this class is "bridge-building"--that is, making connections
|between classic or canonical texts and young adult literature.  So

Have you read Brock Cole's _Celine_?  It's an interesting
reworking of _Catcher in the Rye_.  It's very different from
Brock Cole's other work.  Not that any of his books are like one
another.

Out of curiosity, where do you teach?

I don't know Mr. Was or So far from the Bamboo Grove, but the
others are all good choices.  Except that Letters from the Inside
gives me the willies.    Letters from the Inside and The Giver as
books where the reader is pretty confused at the end?  ;)

|Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
|Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
|Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
|The Giver  by Lois Lowry
|Language of Goldfish : A Novel  by Zibby Oneal
|Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  by Philip K. Dick

Just out of curiosity, are you focusing on narrative ...
ambiguity (as a better term than unreliability)?  Because that's
the first thing that come to mind on just glancing at this lot.
(Which makes either Howl's or F&H a great choice.)

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
"I don't want to know what the structuralists think!  I want to
know what you think!"  -- Archer's Goon, Diana Wynne Jones