(well, probably "What book to pick for class")

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Apr 11 17:32:11 EDT 2002

On Thursday 11 April 2002 22:33, jackie e stallcup wrote:

> I'm making up the reading list for my senior level college course on
> adolescent literature for next semester.  The student population is
> general English majors who intend to teach at the middle school or
> high school level.

Middle school is about 11-14, isn't it?

> I've decided to use a Diana Wynne Jones book as one of the fantasy
> novels that we'll be looking at, but I'm not sure which one to use.
> I'm going to be teaching Dark Lord of Derkholm this semester, but I'm
> afraid it's going to be a bit too long--the students have to be able
> to read the books pretty quickly, as I try to get through a lot of
> them to give as wide exposure as possible to different books.   So, I
> was thinking about teaching Fire and Hemlock instead.  Or maybe
> Hexwood.

Fire and Hemlock and Dark Lord of Derkholm took me about the same
amount of time: start late afternoon, don't stop reading, read until
the small hours. I don't know whether Hexwood is actually longer, but
it took me longer because I couldn't do it in one sitting, it was too
closely packed for that.

> Or do you think that The Ogre Downstairs would be more fun?

That, or _Castle in the Air_, depending on whether you want more
fairytale/fantasy or adolescent angst. Or possibly, in the latter case,
_Archer's Goon_.

> The other fantasy novel I'll be teaching is Pete Hautman's Mr. Was,
> which has been a big hit everytime.  I highly recommend it.  If you
> want to see the rest of the reading list, I'll be happy to post it.

Yes, do post it!

> Anyway, any suggestions that you have (you know, which dwj would YOU
> like to read and discuss in your college course?) would be greatly
> appreciated...

Well, *I* would like Dark Lord of Derkholm. *And* Year of the Griffin
:-)

   Irina

--
irina at valdyas.org  Back up, but not perfect yet: www.valdyas.org/irina