No subject

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Thu Apr 11 16:33:47 EDT 2002

Hi everyone,

I'm making up the reading list for my senior level college course on
adolescent literature for next semester.  The student population is
general English majors who intend to teach at the middle school or high
school level.

I've decided to use a Diana Wynne Jones book as one of the fantasy novels
that we'll be looking at, but I'm not sure which one to use.  I'm going
to be teaching Dark Lord of Derkholm this semester, but I'm afraid it's
going to be a bit too long--the students have to be able to read the
books pretty quickly, as I try to get through a lot of them to give as
wide exposure as possible to different books.   So, I was thinking about
teaching Fire and Hemlock instead.  Or maybe Hexwood.  Or do you think
that The Ogre Downstairs would be more fun?

The other fantasy novel I'll be teaching is Pete Hautman's Mr. Was, which
has been a big hit everytime.  I highly recommend it.  If you want to see
the rest of the reading list, I'll be happy to post it.

Anyway, any suggestions that you have (you know, which dwj would YOU like
to read and discuss in your college course?) would be greatly
appreciated...

Jackie Stallcup