Charmed Life

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Apr 11 12:07:57 EDT 2002

Jennifer:

>I read my copy of the new edition yesterday and I think there was either a
>bit missed out, or I skipped over it- have I gone nuts?
>
>SPOILERS because I need to explain what is missing!

>I'm sure there is a scene where Cat sees Gwendolen in her new world ordering
>people around, before the bit in the garden where she comes back. In the
>garden scene of this copy it says "Gwendolen was still in her heavy
>headdress but not her elaborate robes", or something similar, but there
>didn't seem to be the previous bit that this refers to! Was I reading too
>fast and missed a short para, or was it cut? (And why on earth would it be?)

It's a bit before the one you quoted in my copy (the Mammoth pb).  On
p. 178 of that it's got the passage I think you mean:  "Cat was just
about to say that he did not know either when he saw Gwendolen.  She
was being carried by, quite near, on a sort of bed with handholds."
Goes on to describe the men's uniforms, G's clothes, the bed, and
then "From the way she was behaving, she was certainly being a
queen."  But that's before anyone else is in the garden, when Janet &
Cat are using the dragon's blood.

The bit you quoted doesn't come until p. 187, after Mr. Nostrum turns
up, and has summoned Chrestomanci and has put the silver handcuffs on
him.  So maybe it wasn't cut, but was earlier than you'd remembered?

Hopefully, you feel relieved that you haven't gone nuts? :)

Hallie.