Re Spellcoats (minor spoiler)

Ania theania at freeuk.com
Wed Apr 10 20:38:40 EDT 2002

I've just reread Spellcoats, paying attention to the dating thereof. There
aren't many clues, except that it feels very ancient, iron age would feel
about right. But.
But, how long ago did looms develop into the fairly sophisticated, yet
portable, tools? It must be an advanced loom if Tanaqui wove something as
complicated as a rugcoat on it. I believe early looms were just a frame with
the warp (terminology?) threads weighted with stones or something. Tanaqui
evidently uses a more advanced model, presumably with a shuttle and some
mechanism for reversing the position of the shed (shed is the space between
threads when they are separated in order to pass the shuttle through them;
then their position is reversed for the next row. If it isn't done with
pedals, there is a special tool for it, basically a long piece of wood with
alternating holes and slots. I am not a weaver; the above is a dim
recollection from reading something on the subject, so it may be not quite
right, but I think I got the gist of it)
Anyway, I do not think they had those in the iron age, but Ven probably
knows better, or at least knows where to look it up.
The other 'but' really threw me when I read C&C. In it it is stated that
Osfameron lived about 200 years before C&C. But in the note at the end of
Spellcoats it says that Duck

Spoiler space

is Osfameron. How does this compute with the Iron Age theory? Or did he live
a very long time, as one of the Undying? Any ideas?
Ania