Curry, et als.

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Fri Apr 5 12:37:52 EST 2002

<< Curry is another matter.  She's got a ton of books, but you never hear of
her any more. >>

She is still writing. And still exploring a number of story types.

She hasn't done much with the thread which ran through The Sleepers (which
obliquely connected to her story of Beneath(sp?) the Hill and cumulated in
The Wolves of Aam & The Shadow Dancers -- which took place before all the
rest of the whole connected series).

For example; she's got a really impressive time travel story called Me,
Myself & I which IMHO should be read by anyone who has a soft spot for Rupert
Venables. She's got a fine historical mystery called The Johnstown Flood
Disaster (or something very similar) and another in much the same vein called
something like The Disapearing Coach (I may be WAY off-base on the title of
that one). Her two Smith family mysteries are very similar in tone to the
ones Snyder wrote starring the family from Headless Cupid (their name escapes
me at the moment). Poor Tom's Ghost is a splendid ghost story. The list just
goes on and on. How, and WHY do such fine, solid, competent writers just seem
to fall through the cracks?

>>Snyder recently (97) produced a sequel to THE EGYPT GAME (as someone says
below) Called THE GYPSY GAME. And it might be PC, but it has the same tone,
umpteen  years later... No modernising at all, but it could be any time
really, from the 60s on.<<

Which is a bit of a shift. Much of the strength of Snyder's earlier work was
her ability to capture a point in time in place as firmly as a fly in amber.
You could use those books as suplimentary texts in a course on social
history. The Egypt Game, for example, could ONLY have taken place in a
college town (and just possibly only in Berkely, CA) in the '67-'74 time
period. I noticed that The Gypsy Game (which, as the kids eventually
acknowledged, somehow never got off the ground.) had, understandably, lost
that fixed point in time quality and WAS in some mushy nowhere land. It was a
book that, while not by any means bad, didn't really need to be written. Or,
at any rate, not about that particular group of kids.