_The Thief_ (M&H) SPOILERS!

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Apr 5 06:12:59 EST 2002

This isn't a reply to anything in particular, just what I felt about the
ending. I knew there was a twist but not what it was; I don't know how I
would have reacted to the book if I hadn't known there was something tricky
going on.
We find out at the end that Gen is writing the account for the Queen and the
archives; both know who he is and that the theft succeeded. So I felt that
he was being clever *for them*, saying "can you spot how I did it?", and
that the author was justified in choosing to use the trick because it was in
character for the narrator, and it added to the illusion that the text is a
real one from that world and it's an accident that we, readers who are not
from Eddis, don't have the background knowledge- I didn't feel cheated. As I
say, I don't know how I would have reacted if I hadn't known there was
something to pick up.

Jennifer