_The Thief_, with spoilers galore--extra long for your enjoyment

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 5 04:36:41 EST 2002

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:13:02 +0800, Anita Graham wrote:
>
> >Melissa, have you read "The Family Tree" by Sherri Tepper? I've read your
> >explanations of "cheating" meaning that the author had to use a
> particular
> >technique to achieve her ends. Did Tepper do the same in "The
> Family Tree"?
>
> I haven't read the book, so I don't know.  (I am reluctant to read any of
> Tepper's books these days, after _Singer from the Sea_.)

I'm not sure I've read "Singer from the Sea" (titles change sometimes), but
I know what you mean. There are quite a few of Tepper's books I haven't got
into because the all-out cruelty was just horrible. However, "The Family
Tree"  doesn't have any truly mean and horrible males torturing women.

I think Tepper must have back-pedalled a bit on her heavy message - although
there's a message in this one all right.

I don't like to talk too much about "The Family Tree" much to someone who
hasn't read it.

Anita