Sally Lockhart (was Re: Pullman and the Nature of God (longish)

Thu Apr 4 14:48:59 EST 2002

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 20:50:16 -0500 (EST), Kyla Tornheim wrote:

>Oh, ARGH. Those books pissed me off. Or, rather, I adored _The Ruby in the
>Smoke_ and was horrified when the next two books proceeded towards
>dreadfulness.

>My main problem was really that Sally was such a Victorian girl until it
>was convenient for her not to be. It was very nice that she and Frederick
>were in love, but there is *no* way she would have slept with him before
>they were married, and I was appalled that she slept with him and then he
>*died* and it was all just so that she could be an unwed mother for the
>third book. Because she *wouldn't* have, and I *liked* Frederick, and I
>was sad when he died, because they didn't get a chance to be happy, and
>the last book was annoying anyway.

I didn't have anything much to add except that I felt the exact same way.  I
read the first two as a teenager, and was seriously disappointed by the
ending of the second book.  It was so depressing.  And then I found the
third book as an adult and snatched it up, hoping maybe he was going to
redeem the situation, and it JUST GOT WORSE.  Talk about your social tracts!
Preach preach preach.  So annoying.

Melissa Proffitt