Byatt

Thu Apr 4 14:48:59 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:26:06 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>Did anyone read _Possession_ by A.S. Byatt?  _The Biographer's Tale_ is
>>another book she wrote recently.  It's about a guy who decides to write a
>>biography of the ultimate biographer.  Overall I'm afraid I had the same
>>lukewarm reaction as I did to _Possession_,
>
>WHAT!!! Melissa, say it isn't so. We agree on so many books, I am shocked.
>Possession is my all-time favourite novel, although I don't like her other
>books to nearly the same extreme.

I loved the historical parts.  I hated the modern parts.  More specifically,
I hated the people in the modern part.  Their personal lives seemed so
aimless by comparison to the historical people they were researching.  So I
didn't love the whole thing entirely.  Though I am looking forward to the
movie when it finally gets released sometime this summer.  It's got Jeremy
Northam and Jennifer Ehle in addition to Gwyneth Paltrow and Aaron Eckhart
(I'm assuming that Northam and Ehle are the 'historical' characters, and boy
do I want to see them in THOSE roles!) and is directed by Neil LaBute, who
has done some very darkly funny horrible vicious stuff.  He also happens to
be a member of my religion, not that this is relevant, but it's why I know
about him without having ever seen any of his work.

>I thought the Biographer's Tale started really well, but then it couldn't
>figure out where it wanted to go.

It certainly surprised me.  By the middle of the book I was convinced it was
the best thing I'd ever read, and then it went somewhere else entirely.
Hence the second lukewarm response.  Oh well.  The first part was great....

Melissa Proffitt