Dalemark chronology

Thu Apr 4 14:49:02 EST 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:52:32 EST, JOdel at aol.com wrote:

><< I always thought that Spellcoats was the first - because it's set in much
>older times than the others, sort of early mediaeval, then C&C -
>renaissance-ish, then the others, early modern/pre-industrial. Or have I got
>it completely wrong? >>
>
>Not so much completely wrong as just a bit off-target.
>
>Spellcoats, to me, feels a good bit earlier than medieval. Almost like a
>tribal culture. Possibly even a Bronze Age culture, if the technology allows
>for it (the earliest period for the technological development of a grist mill
>on the scale of the one the family was hiding out in would seem to be the
>determining factor, but Dalemark, by a number of indications appears to be a
>bit more technologically advanced than our world.).

That's definitely my impression as well.  Though the settlements appear to
be fairly, well, settled.  I was thinking pre-medieval at first, but now I'm
not sure.  Sounds like a topic for discussion after reading the book.

>  C&C, DW and the body of
>Crown all take part over a period of not more than 5 years and the historic
>period feels distinctly 17th-century. (Dalemark's world obviously
>industrialized earlier than ours if that is the case. But it really doesn't
>"feel" like a pre-industrial 18th century to me.)

Someone told me they thought _Cart and Cwidder_ was poorly written because
it was a fantasy novel and then suddenly they all had guns.  :)  It *feels*
like 17th century but it seems meant to be late 18th century instead,
especially in _Crown_.

>(For the record; I read the books in the order they were written. With an
>impatient wait between each.)

I read _Cart and Cwidder_ and _Spellcoats_ independently and never realized
they were meant to be in the same world or series.  Never heard of _Drowned
Ammet_ until just before _Crown of Dalemark_ came out, so I read those two
back-to-back, which turned out to be ideal.

Melissa Proffitt