Dalemark chronology

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Apr 4 12:52:32 EST 2002

<< I always thought that Spellcoats was the first - because it's set in much
older times than the others, sort of early mediaeval, then C&C -
renaissance-ish, then the others, early modern/pre-industrial. Or have I got
it completely wrong? >>

Not so much completely wrong as just a bit off-target.

Spellcoats, to me, feels a good bit earlier than medieval. Almost like a
tribal culture. Possibly even a Bronze Age culture, if the technology allows
for it (the earliest period for the technological development of a grist mill
on the scale of the one the family was hiding out in would seem to be the
determining factor, but Dalemark, by a number of indications appears to be a
bit more technologically advanced than our world.).  C&C, DW and the body of
Crown all take part over a period of not more than 5 years and the historic
period feels distinctly 17th-century. (Dalemark's world obviously
industrialized earlier than ours if that is the case. But it really doesn't
"feel" like a pre-industrial 18th century to me.) Maewen's Dalemark, fairly
obviously, is modern, but its form of modern could be that of mid-20th
century if needed (I can't see that it is).

(For the record; I read the books in the order they were written. With an
impatient wait between each.)