Re Spellcoats

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Apr 4 09:38:18 EST 2002





Various people:

>>>I always thought that Spellcoats was the first - because it's set in much
>>>older times than the others, sort of early mediaeval, then C&C -
>>>renaissance-ish, then the others, early modern/pre-industrial. Or have I got
>>>it completely wrong?
>>
>>Apparently, but you are wrong in company with me. I always assumed
>>Spellcoats was first until the recent paperback re-edition which numbers
>>the books from 1-4, and Spellcoats is 3. I don't really understand this.
>>For a long time it was pretty much a stand-alone book until Crown of
>>Dalemark used a couple of the characters in a tangential way. It certainly
>>takes place a lot earlier than the other three books, but clearly this is
>>no reason to regard it as early in a series.
>
> Wait! _That's_ the way in which I read them! I do have that paperback
> re-edition you're talking about  - if it's a US one. It was said on the
> covers and I read them like that: 1, Cart and Cwidder, 2, Drowned Ammet, 3,
> The Spellcoats, 4, The Crown of Dalemark.
> But even so, I, for some reason, always thought and felt that Spellcoats
> were taking place much earlier than the others -  isn't that right?
> Well, I felt you had a different feeling for the country when you had read
> the first two ones and was going on Spellcoats. Then you could feel with
> Tanaqui much more... Maybe that's a reason to number them like that? Or was
> it just a mistake?

Well, that is the order in which they were written.

Spellcoats is really a stand-alone novel, but there is Elthorar's note at the
back to tie it into the Dalemark series.  The implication is (Kialan mentions it
in Crown) that the coats were unearthed and Elthorar's translation written at
the end of the interregnum - the period of C&C, DA and most of Crown.


S


P


O


I


L


E


R


The action in Spellcoats does indeed take place several centuries before the
other books - Hern is supposedly the first king of Dalemark, whereas in the
later books, king Labard and the Adon lived about 200 years before the
restoration, the implication being that Hern was some centuries before that.

According to Wend in Crown, Duck/Mallard (Wend's original persona) later became
Osfameron, who (according to Keril (?) in C&C) was supposedly born the year king
Labard died.

Incidentally, there is no reason, even without Crown to tie them together, to
suppose that C&C takes place any earlier than DA.  The storm which caused the
Northerners to put into Holand, leading to the executions that Hildy and Ynen
didn't watch, was that which blew away Clennen's tent.  Kialan escaped to the
North with Clennen because he was too young to be executed with Hildy and Ynen's
cousins all watching...

OK, Spellcoats is next on my rereading list.  Anyone set a date for the start of
the official discussion?

Philip.







**********************************************************************
This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be
read by those to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact us, delete the message from your computer
and destroy any copies.  Any distribution or copying without our prior
permission is prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the
Powergen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message.
The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before
acting on the contents.  Any views or opinions presented are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the 
Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: 53 New Broad Street London EC2M 1SL
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970
**********************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at suberic.net with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at http://suberic.net/dwj/list/



More information about the Dwj mailing list