DWJ discussion at Swancon

Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Ding at kline.com
Tue Apr 2 00:26:52 EST 2002

This Easter was the annual Western Australian Science Fiction Convention -
Swancon.  There was a panel programmed on Diana Wynne Jones and J. K.
Rowling.  Even thought I wasn't a member of the convention I had to attend
just for that one!  I think I am getting known as a rather rabid DWJ fan.
As soon as the moderator of the panel spotted me in the audience she asked
me why I wasn't on the panel!  And I probably had as much to say as the
panelists did :)

Anyway, DWJ discussion dominated!  People did have nice things to say about
J. K. Rowling, but there was nowhere near the level of enthusiasm as for
DWJ.  It was nice to be in a real environment (as opposed to a virtural one
like this) with so many people who knew DWJ's works and had such
enthusiastic things to say about them.

The novelist Kate Forsyth was a guest of the convention and was one of the
members of the panel.  She seems to be a keen DWJ fan and had done her
research on the Diana Wynne Jones site.  Kate has written a fantasy series
_The Witches of Eileanan_.  Has anyone read it?  Based on Kate's enthusiasm
for DWJ I'm thinking that I might have to find it and give it a go...

Byeeeee,
Kylie