Re Spellcoats

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Apr 1 17:54:28 EST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Jenny Holmstrom wrote:

> At 07:25 PM 4/1/02 +0100, Hallie wrote:
> >Oh no - have I stumbled onto one of those chronological order/reading
> >order controversies?  Copies of the books I've seen give Cart and Cwidder
> >as the first of the series, Drowned Ammet second, Spellcoats third, and
> >Crown of Dalemark fourth.

> Yes, that's the same order as I've read them in. But that's just the order
> to read them, not the chronological one.
Huh. I can't remember what order I read them in, really. But I believe it
was C&C, Spellcoats, DA, CoD. I know I read DA years after the others,
because the one copy our library had was missing a 30-page chunk near the
end, which led to my extreme confusion.

I think it's better to read Drowned Ammet closer to Crown of Dalemark,
because Crown builds a lot more directly on the stuff in Drowned Ammet
than in any other book. I really really like Spellcoats, but I can see
that it's a bit odd to be a first book of a quartet. Cart and Cwidder is
less vague and less depressing than the other two that could possibly come
first, so it works to have "first."

(Of course, once I've read a series in the "right" [read--published]
order, I tend to reread it in chronological order. I always started the
Narnia books with Magician's Nephew, my second-favorite, and stuck in my
favorite, The Horse and His Boy, before Prince Caspian. Then, of course, I
always had to actively convince myself to read The Last Battle.)