Just Curious and Curiouser

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 22:33:30 EDT 2001

I can't begin to count how many books have taken a dip in the
bath, including one from the library which they charged me for and
then put back on the shelf -- which I thought was a bit cheeky. And
the  stupidest thing I ever did with a library book was to leave it in a
phone box outside the library--  after I had read the first twenty or
so pages in the library caff and was left feeling quite bereft (it was
Jane Gardam's After the Funeral). There was a copy of the Hobbit
covered in pinholes from the teeth of a litter of kittens, and from
that litter Rocky, I'm sorry to say, didn't exempt books from her
tendency to throw up over things.

Here's a top tip; if you have stained a book with chocolate icing or
similar, fuller's earth will reduce the stain from a strident, greasy
brown to a pale biscuit colour. When I did this to a book, which I
had  faithfully promised not to spindle, fold, mutilate or soil,  the
stain went throught a number of pages. IIRC I sprinkled the powder
on each page then put the book at the bottom of a big pile of
others, to compress it, for several days. I've no idea what fuller's
earth is called elsewhere in the world, it's a very fine greenish clay
and in the UK can be bought in small packets from chemists. It will
absorb all kinds of oil and unpleasantness, but NB, if used on cats
leaves them a bit green.

A supplementary question: unusual places/circumstances that
books have been read in? I used to go up the apple tree to read
when I lived at my parents, and while living in a converted factory
would climb onto the roof.
                                           Ven.

Samuel R Delany. "The Fall of the Towers"