Just Curious...

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Sep 22 08:45:30 EDT 2001

Rebecca asked...

> What's the worst (or funniest) thing that ever happened to a book in
your
> care?

When I was a small child and sick in bed, I got sick all over my
mother's copy (from her own childhood) of "What Katy Did".  No, it
wasn't salvageable.

More recently, I left a book (Georgette Heyer's "Friday's Child") on
the coffee table in the sitting room...then the new pump in the
heating system proved to be too powerful for the old radiator valves,
and water rained through the sitting room ceiling and onto the book.
It was okay after we got the heating fixed and left the book on a
radiator for a bit.

And then there was the time I lent my copy of "The Bluffer's Guide to
University" to a college friend, and it was in his pocket when his
friends threw him in the fountain (a common pastime in my uni)...  He
was frightfully apologetic, but the radiator treatment worked well
enough and I still have the (now somewhat wrinkled) book.

Sally added...

> My sister once left a lib book face-down on a stove plate, which
someone
> else turned on! She paid the library the value and kept the
(slightly
> singed) book.

My Patrick did that to the kettle a few months ago.  It didn't improve
either the hotplate or the kettle much.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can
do is to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer