Croggling/data/Engdahl/Aiken/McKillip/identification

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 05:20:01 EDT 2001

Georgia wrote:

> 3. Philip mentioned Sylvia Engdahl's "Heritage of the Star" series. I
> didn't know this was a trilogy - I've only read the first one, wch I
> found interesting & memorable (gd example of protagonist learning/changing)
> - could someone tell me the titles of the other two books? Tried to find
> them on Amazon/ABE but wasn't clear whether the ones listed were the same
> series or not.

You can find more details of these at http://www.sylviaengdahl.com/

They were recently reprinted in a single volume, "Children of the Star".  The
original titles were "This Star Shall Abide" (published over here as "Heritage
of the Star"), "Beyond the Tomorrow Mountains" and "The Doors of the Universe".

> 5. Bought a McKillip book today from the British Heart Foundation (yay
> for charity shops!), after the recommendations on the list. It's The
> Sorceress and the Cygnet - have to say it doesn't look like something
> I'd like, from a quick flip through (I notice one character speaks through
> gritted teeth [I've tried this several times, but it just doesn't work for
> me] and then further down the page "speaks tightly" - is he drunk, or just
> mean?), but I shall try it, & let you know if I'm converted. If anyone
> immediately thinks "No! Don't start with that one, it's not typical!" then
> let me know.

I don't know if I can say it's not typical, but it's the McKillip I like least.
I probably wouldn't have become a fan if I'd started with that one; even if you
don't like it much, it may well be worth your while trying another before you
give up.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970