Gnosticism (was Re: A Very Deep Secret)

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Tue Sep 11 20:28:14 EDT 2001

And the Gospel of Thomas--wasn't that the one written by a man who might
have been Jesus's twin brother?  Didymus Thomas Judas--both of the first
two words mean 'twin' and Judas is historically the name of one of Jesus'
brothers.  That was also the one in which Peter complained because Jesus
kissed Mary Magdalene on the lips more than he did the rest of the
followers.  Then there's also the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, which has
information about Jesus' childhood, before he was quite as good as he
later became.

My personal favorite story from any of the New Testament?  The one where
someone (I'm thinking it was Paul, not one of the Twelve, and I'm sure it
wasn't Jesus) resurrects a tuna fish.  I'll have to go reference that
one. . .

lizzie, who would like to reccomend (though someone probably already did
this) Elaine Pagels' book on Adam and Eve, along with Phyllis Trible's
essay "Eve and Adam."  And, while I'm on good essays by feminists I read
in my fem theologies class, there's a gorgeous piece (not religious, as I
remember) by Audre Lorde called "On the Uses of the Erotic."  Nothing
pornographic at all about it--just deeply beautiful and effective.