Gnosticism (was Re: A Very Deep Secret)

Rosie Burroughs rosieburroughs at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 18:08:11 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Bodil Gram <listedwj at bglist.cutisan.dk>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: Gnosticism (was Re: A Very Deep Secret)

> In any case you can see for yourself a lot of the material Pagels has been
> working with if you get hold of a book by M[ontague] R[hodes] James (yes,
> he of the ghost stories, he had a day job too!). It is called THE
> APOCRYPHAL NEW TESTAMENT (Oxford Uni Press) and contains a lot of the
early
> Christian writings that for one reason or another did not get included in
> the New Testament. Did you know that the Revelation of John almost did not
> make the cut either? Many felt it was too much like the even more
colourful
> putative revelations of famous people like Peter, Paul, Thomas, Stephen
and
> the Holy Virgin....

There was one bloke, can't remember who or exactly when but it was about the
time the canon of scripture was established, who wanted to cut out the
entire Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures, and I think all the New Testament
except Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts and possibly the odd epistle.

The epistle to the Hebrews refers to the book of Enoch, which isn't part of
the canon but presumably was when Hebrews was written. Can't remember the
exact reference but if anyone's desperate to know the epistle's not that
long...

And I remember having to read a chunk of the Gospel of Thomas, in which
Peter announced that Mary Magdalene shouldn't be around because of being
female, and Jesus replied that it was all right because come the Millennium
(or whatever you want to call the time of future perfection) she and all
other faithful women would be transformed into men. Hmm.

Rosie