Gnosticism (was Re: A Very Deep Secret)

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Tue Sep 11 10:26:38 EDT 2001

Bodil Gram:
> Let me end by recommending MEDIEVAL HERESY - POPULAR MOVEMENTS FROM
BOGOMIL
> TO HUS by Malcolm Lambert. Not as easily read as Pagels, but still very
> interesting and able to make you feel incredibly sorry for the people of
> Provence. It is also a very good book to have read before you tackle
> Umberto Eco's famous book, THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

I shall certainly try to find the books recommended above. And I'd like to
add another book to this "recommended" list: one by Norman Cohn entitled
"The Pursuit of the Millennium: Revolutionary Millenarians and Mystical
Anarchists of the Middle Ages", published originally in 1957. It's
fascinating and quite readable while being very scholarly. (He also wrote
"Europe's Inner Demons", about the historical processes which led to the
great European witchhunts, with some excellent debunking in it)
Ania