help with page, book recommendations, dalemark...

Katherine Ferguson k.ferguson at maulu.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 7 17:22:44 EDT 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, deborah wrote:
<snip/>
>1) I'm wondering if anyone wants to help me on a data gathering
>project.  I'm trying to put all the data I have about any DWJ
>books into a big XML database (which I'll make publically
>available to anyone who wants, and which I'll use to finally
>apply a nice, consistent, updateable format to my website).  This
>is exteremely time consuming.  Would anyone like to help?  Help
>could consist of formatting the data for as little as one book.
>Basically, if you're interested, I'll send you all the
>information I've got about one book, and a template for the
>format it needs to be in.  XML looks alot like a generalized form
>of HTML, so you can do the work in any text editor - note pad
>will do fine.  Then you send it back when you have a chance.  I'm
>thinking this database could act as a general community resource.
>Anyone who wanted could set up something that grabbed updated
>copies of the database, and could use whatever tool they wanted
>to get at the data.  Anyway, let me know if you're interested in
>helping.
<snip/>

Sorry, I am too busy to help at present (am lurking like mad - boo!).
But I'm very interested in it - I have also been thinking of getting
round to xml-ising my dwj info (about UK first editions) and expanding
it to as many editions as possible. Partly prompted by thinking of uses
and tests for some software (java Z39.50 toolkit - to search library
catalogues etc and return xml - I know the developers and am on the
sidelines of the project - they ask me for help about xslt <g>) I
thought I'd grab data from our catalogue (which includes one of the UK
copyright/deposit libraries) but haven't thought how to get US and other
edition information. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how your plan
goes, and how you structure the data (true database, or flat file? Any
particular dtd/schema?) - lovely aim, but finding the time tends to be
difficult in my experience! So many plans (aka dreams)...
--
Katherine Ferguson
(almost) a founding member who has lurked ever since