The ideal music to read a DWJ novel to.

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Sep 6 14:04:56 EDT 2001

Laurel said...

> > That would be so cool!  Have we any cellists here who could play
it?
> > I quit learning when I was 16 or 17.
>
> That's about when I quit, too.  Reading about the Dumas quartet
> always made me want to take it up again; although I didn't play
> enough in string groups, I do remember it could be just that
> magical.  I'd love to hear a concerto based on F&H.

Yes, ensemble playing is so much fun!  Well, when you've got a
half-way decent ensemble.

'Nother DWJ ref that occurred to me this afternoon:  during my
cello-playing years, I was a member of the North Dublin Youth
Orchestra.  When I read "Archer's Goon", I was convinced that DWJ must
have snuck into a rehearsal of the NDYO, as Howard's school orchestra
(though it has slightly more variety of instrumets) bears a startling
resemblance.  We even had a Sheep-type conductor!

> I'm not sure how many of the authors are musicians, but right now
> I'm in the process of reading "The Horns of Elfland," a
> collection of fantasy stories involving music.  So far, there
> have been a few rather dull stories and a couple of real
> winners.  My favorites are by Terri Windling (which I rather
> expected), Jane Emerson (an interesting story about opera and
> divine retribution set in 1800) and Elizabeth E. Wein (a story
> about change ringing, in which, incidentally, Dorothy Sayers and
> Connie Willis awakened my interest.

Ah!  Another musical author: Robin McKinley is a change-ringer!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can
do is to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer