The ideal music to read a DWJ novel to.

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 12:32:53 EDT 2001

Jenwa on Filk (Melissa said many of the same things):

> <grin> my impression is that the definition of filk
> appears to be one of those much-discussed and
> never-agreed-upon topics.

I was afraid of that...

> now that you mention it, it is certainly true that
> "taking existing songs and re-writing the words to
> give them a theme" is *also* a definition of filk, and
> that the theme doesn't have to be F&SF...

Fair enough.

> but after attending a few MASSFILC meetings, and
> purchasing and perusing many filk songbooks, it really
> seems to me that original music which is F&SF [or,
> related such as general techie sorts of topics] is
> also considered filk.

What I fear is that the definitions as used by the F&SF community and the Geek
community are diverging.  Oh well, it can't be helped, I suppose...

> therefore, your settings of Tanith Lee and Fritz
> Leiber words would be filk, at least to some
> [including me].

... if so, they would count as filk in the F&SF community, which is what's
important in this context.

I hadn't realised that the definition of filk had spilled over into serious
music.  We live and learn...

Philip.

PS When I think of filk in connection with my own work, though, I think of my
re-writing (not quite finished, alas) of Flanders and Swann's "Im a Gnu" with an
open-source UNIX theme...  (I wanted to do "When I'm Crashing Windows" after
Fomrby, as well)

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970