Dalemark

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 12:12:34 EDT 2001

Ven wrote:

> I always find myself wanting to equate the locale of The True State
> of Affairs with Everard's Ride. Although this may because they are
> in the same book, and because imprisonment figures in both I just

Everard's ride is one of the two stories I haven't managed to get hold of yet.
Damn!

> feel that they fit. And although I can well see how TSA could be
> cognate with Dalemark it doesn't feel quite right.

Right.  It is called Dalemark, but she made quite a lot of changes before
writing the Dalemark novels.

It always seems to me to relate to Dalemark about as closely as two worlds in
the same series in the Chrestomanci books.

In particular, Asgrim is clearly the Adon, and Kjarten is Kastri, but we have no
analogue for Manaliabrid - Edith seems quite an ordinary person.  In fact, if
anyone is Manaliabrid, I think Emily is...  (That may be one of the things that
makes it so gut-wrenching for me - knowing that in another world, he married
Manaliabrid)

> Hmm am I right in thinking that before Derkholm these (ER
> Dalemark quartet and TSA) were the only  works set in any kind of
> fantasyland?  That makes the similarities look like the evolution of
> the idea.

I wouldn't say so.  The Chrestomanci books could count; Ingary pre-dates
Derkholm by several years as well.

But yes, you can watch the fantasyland idea evolve from her early to her late
writing.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970