The ideal music to read a DWJ novel to.

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 12:09:28 EDT 2001

--- Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:
> > (filk being fantasy and science fiction themed
> music,
> > often but not necessarily of a folk nature)
>
> That's an interesting definition of filk.  I must
> admit that I don't consider my
> settings of words by Tanith Lee and Fritz Leiber to
> be filk, even though they're
> pulled straight out of SF novels.
>
> Filk as it was explained to me is taking existing
> songs and re-writing the words
> to give them a theme.  It's not restricted to the
> F&SF community, either - I
> have somewhere a copy of the Hacker's Song Book - a
> collection of filk songs on
> computer themes...

<grin> my impression is that the definition of filk
appears to be one of those much-discussed and
never-agreed-upon topics.

now that you mention it, it is certainly true that
"taking existing songs are re-writing the words to
give them a theme" is *also* a definition of filk, and
that the theme doesn't have to be F&SF...

but after attending a few MASSFILC meetings, and
purchasing and perusing many filk songbooks, it really
seems to me that original music which is F&SF [or,
related such as general techie sorts of topics] is
also considered filk.

therefore, your settings of Tanith Lee and Fritz
Leiber words would be filk, at least to some
[including me].

i think that the definition has probably expanded to
include both the re-written lyrics and the F&SF
originals.

--jenwa.