The ideal music to read a DWJ novel to.

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 11:54:25 EDT 2001

> as for other writer/musicians...
> as noted above, Neil Gaiman has written songs but i
> don't know if he plays or sings.
> Tom Holt writes wonderful filk but i believe he does
> not perform.
> i have this vague notion that Lois Bujold is
> active-ish in filk circles but have no additional
> information.
> i believe that Poul Anderson wrote filk, as well... i
> don't know about performing.
>
> (filk being fantasy and science fiction themed music,
> often but not necessarily of a folk nature)

That's an interesting definition of filk.  I must admit that I don't consider my
settings of words by Tanith Lee and Fritz Leiber to be filk, even though they're
pulled straight out of SF novels.

Filk as it was explained to me is taking existing songs and re-writing the words
to give them a theme.  It's not restricted to the F&SF community, either - I
have somewhere a copy of the Hacker's Song Book - a collection of filk songs on
computer themes...

(It is said that the name "filk" arose from a typing error for "folk")

Just my two penn'orth...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970