A College of Magics (was Re: The Princess Bride (was Re: McKillip))

elisa at telia.com elisa at telia.com
Thu Sep 6 11:44:36 EDT 2001

On 6 Sep 2001, at 1:04, JOdel at aol.com wrote:

> Join the club. It's prticularly bad for me since I somehow NEVER had to take
> a world history class in my entire 16 years of formal schooling. You can
> imagine how flummoxed I was (in my middle 20s) to discover that Elizabeth I
> was the daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Bolyn. (It took so little to astonish
> me in those days...)

I always felt that history lessons only gave you small bits and never
connected happenings in different countries with each other. It took
me ages to realize that, for example, the various revolutions,
murdered kings and independence wars in the late 18th-century
actually happened, roughly, at the same time and that the same
writers and thinkers were influencing them.

Elisa