The ideal music to read a DWJ novel to.

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 11:24:59 EDT 2001

I'm collecting several strands of this thread into one reply.

Melissa replied to my question:

>>Who else writes books and is a musician?
>
> I don't know if Chelsea Quinn Yarbro is a musician, but her book _A Baroque
> Fable_ has notation for several of the songs within.  It's...I don't know
> how to describe it, it's been too long...sort of a musical in novel form.
> Very cute.

I've never read any CQY.  But this is one recommendation I shall be following
up.  I hope.

Sophie is following up my comments, firstly on F&H:

>> (I have toyed with the idea of writing a cello
>> concerto based on the book.  But
>> it probably won't happen...)
>
> Wow! Do you "usually" usually compose, or did the book
> move you to that idea?

I regard composing as one of my chief hobbies, even though I don't seem to have
much time for it.  I seldom tackle anything as ambitious as a concerto, and
still only manage to write about one piece (song, anthem, organ voluntary...) a
year :-(  ATM I am working on a suite for wind band (woodwind + brass +
percussion + usually a string bass) based on material from a symphony that I
gave up on when I was about 20.

>>> "Power of Three"...something folkish.  Clannad,
>> maybe.
>>
>> Welsh or Irish traditional harp music would be my
>> first stab.
>
> Okay, that settles it. Power of Three is next on my
> catch-up list. (after Time of the Ghost which was
> delivered yesterday)
>
> Irish traditional harp is what I play!

Splendid!  Am I right in thinking that this is the harp where you have a row of
levers along the top of the instrument, each of which can raise the pitch of one
string one semitone?  I have been thinking of the tonal possibilities of such an
instrument with different keys set in different octaves...

>> Sudden Wild Magic.  What would people suggest for
>> the jingly sort of music
>> played in Arth and the Pentarchy?
>
> This was actually were I thought of gamelan. Very
> jingly in my ears.

Of course!  Why didn't I think of that?  Balinese is the jingliest iirc, but any
gamelan should sound suitable...

And of course, Indigo Rubber:

Dorian:

>> :-)  We are never told what sort of music Indigo Rubber play, are
>> we?  But it's a great name for a group!  (Should we start one?
>> There must be enough of us who can play/sing...)
>
> I sing a passable alto, and, while not actually playing anything
> properly, can get a decent noise out of almost every instrument (flute
> excepted).  Hallie and Becca both sing too, I think - I know Becca's a
> soprano, and she plays the piano too.  And you play brass, don't you,
> Philip?  There's a fair-ish start!

Not brass, I'm afraid.  Piano, bassoon, organ; I'm teaching myself the whistle
(flageolet?) at the moment.  And I sing bass.  (For those who don't know, a
bassoon is a woodwind instrument, a relative of the oboe but sounding 2 octaves
lower)

Ven:

> From the reverence with which Douglas and their friends regard
> them Indigo Rubber must have been a "Supergroup", a Cream, or

Could be, but I thought the opposite - that Indigo Rubber was a quite obscure
group, fandom of which gave one a sort of "not one of the crowd" cachet.  That's
why they could look down on "the sort of person who listened to commercial pop".

> Led Zep, maybe Yes or (rotfl) Emerson Lake and Palmer (does
> anyone else remember the tour lorries with their names on the
> roof?). I suppose Dwj may also have derived "Indigo" form the
> example of King Crimson or Pink Floyd.

Possibly.  I always thought it came from a malapropism for india-rubber, though.
ISTR she acknowledges whom she got that name from somewhere in the book.

So, to take stock:

Me (Philip): Keyboards, voice, bassoon
Becca: Voice
Dorian: Voice, cello, some random instrument (shall I see if I can get my
ukulele to stay in tune?)
Laurel: Piano, voice, cello
Sophie: Harp

I can write tunes, and Becca writes pretty good lyrics.

That's five of us, enough for a reasonable group.  Three in Ireland, one in
England, one in Florida.  Hmm... Arranging rehearsals could be tricky :-)

Philip.

PS Sophie - Keep on snipping!  As far as I am concerned, it's not a good idea to
clutter up replies with loads of material from previous messages that's no
longer relevant to your reply.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970