The ideal music to read a DWJ novel to.

Laurel lalamme at ufl.edu
Thu Sep 6 04:01:00 EDT 2001

"Dorian E. Gray" wrote:

> Philip said...

(snipping...)
> > > With "Fire and Hemlock" should go a mixture of Steeleye Span
> (British
> > > folk-rock; IIRC they did version of both "Tam Lin" and "Thomas the
> > > Rhymer") and 80s pop.
> >
> > Gosh, no!  String quartets and cello music, almost exclusively :-)
> Try Dvorak's
> > cello concerto for starters.
>
> Oh, how could I have forgotten about the celli?!  I am such a fool.
> Of course there should be some of that too.  I agree about the Dvorak,
> and I'll add Brahms' Cello Sonatas (two of my all-time favourite
> pieces of music!).
> >
> > (I have toyed with the idea of writing a cello concerto based on the
> book.  But
> > it probably won't happen...)
>
> That would be so cool!  Have we any cellists here who could play it?
> I quit learning when I was 16 or 17.

That's about when I quit, too.  Reading about the Dumas quartet
always made me want to take it up again; although I didn't play
enough in string groups, I do remember it could be just that
magical.  I'd love to hear a concerto based on F&H.

(more snips...)
> > :-)  We are never told what sort of music Indigo Rubber play, are
> we?  But it's
> > a great name for a group!  (Should we start one?  There must be
> enough of us who
> > can play/sing...)
>
> I sing a passable alto, and, while not actually playing anything
> properly, can get a decent noise out of almost every instrument (flute
> excepted).  Hallie and Becca both sing too, I think - I know Becca's a
> soprano, and she plays the piano too.  And you play brass, don't you,
> Philip?  There's a fair-ish start!

Voice and piano here as well.  We might come out with an
interesting ensemble.

(more snips...)
> > Who else writes books and is a musician?
>
> Mercedes Lackey sings and plays the guitar.  She has quite a nice alto
> voice.
>
> I've a notion Emma Bull is a singer, too, and Steven Brust.
> >
> > Also with a musical theme, try "Space Opera" by Jack Vance.  The
> "Spellsinger"
> > series by Alan Dean Foster tries hard, but doesn't quite make it in
> my opinion,
> > but if you try it you may disagree.
>
> Oh, and I should have mentioned Guy Gavriel Kay's "Fionavar Tapestry";
> one of the Brahms cello sonatas features strongly in the first book,
> "The Summer Tree" (and, in fact, is what inspired me to get hold of a
> recording thereof; I wanted to find out what it sounded like!).  It's
> been a while since I've read it, but I think music features in his
> "Tigana", too, and "A Song for Arbonne" is full of troubadours and the
> like.

I'm very fond of the musical descriptions in "Tigana."

I'm not sure how many of the authors are musicians, but right now
I'm in the process of reading "The Horns of Elfland," a
collection of fantasy stories involving music.  So far, there
have been a few rather dull stories and a couple of real
winners.  My favorites are by Terri Windling (which I rather
expected), Jane Emerson (an interesting story about opera and
divine retribution set in 1800) and Elizabeth E. Wein (a story
about change ringing, in which, incidentally, Dorothy Sayers and
Connie Willis awakened my interest.  Have any listmembers living
in England or thereabouts actually heard this, and does it live
up to description?)  I'd probably recommend the collection for
these stories alone, but readers less interested in musical magic
(or magical music) might disagree.  There is one feature of this
book which I absolutely love, however; there are brief
introductions to each story with artist/title/ordering
information, if not for actual music featured in the story, then
for inspirational or similar content.

Also, concerning the Hugo winner thread, I'd like to second the
Nalo Hopkinson recommendation - "Midnight Robber" left me
absolutely in awe of Hopkinson's skill with characterization and
language.  ObDWJ: Tan-Tan's assumption of the Robber Queen
identity, confused with half-truths, exaggerations, and old folk
tales, reminded me somewhat of the way Polly and Tom in F&H from
time to time find themselves within a tale of their own making -
and then within a much older story.

Laurel