A College of Magics (was Re: The Princess Bride (was Re: McKillip))

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 01:04:46 EDT 2001

In a message dated 9/5/01 2:39:59 PM, Melissa at Proffitt.com writes:

>I have great gaping holes in my historical knowledge that are continually
>being filled.  Sometimes I'll know all about some period without ever having
>connected it to the rest of history.  For example, I knew about the Regency
>period for the longest time before I realized that it was called this
>because George III had gone off his nut and that he was the same King George
>the American colonies had rebelled against.  It makes for interesting
>epiphanies sometimes.

Join the club. It's prticularly bad for me since I somehow NEVER had to take
a world history class in my entire 16 years of formal schooling. You can
imagine how flummoxed I was (in my middle 20s) to discover that Elizabeth I
was the daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Bolyn. (It took so little to astonish
me in those days...)