Joan Aiken (Was Re Regency and other fantasy)

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 20:51:05 EDT 2001

Hallie wrote

  The word I've heard most often applied to
> Joan Aiken (YA) is Dickensian - which I avoided because of all the
> non-Dickens fans.  I can sort of see it and sort of don't agree, which
> doesn't add much to the discussion.  Off the top of my head, the names
> seem quite Dickensian, and the wildly rich plots and twists, and the
> teeming and sometimes grimey London settings could.

I think the difference in period from (most of) Dickens is clear,
though I'd be hard pressed to define it, beyond saying it's to do with
the social development of the city, the connectedness of things.
Leon Garfireld was yer writer for Victorian pastiche.

>But those are probably
> not what put people off Dickens, so maybe there was no need to steer clear
> of the mention.   (Anyone thinking about saying why they loathe Dickens
> needn't worry - I wouldn't respond with anything like the fanatacism with
> which I just *might* respond to a similar comment about Jane Austen. :) )

But I love Dickens enough to respond fanaticqlly <g>, but as i used
to loathe him I would be a very understanding fanatic.

Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones