The ideal Music to read a Dwj novel to

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 20:51:05 EDT 2001

I'm one of the people who can't listen to music and read at the
same time.

Rebecca quoted
> >> With "Fire and Hemlock" should go a mixture of Steeleye Span (British
> >> folk-rock; IIRC they did version of both "Tam Lin" and "Thomas the
> >> Rhymer") and 80s pop.

and said

> >Gosh, no!  String quartets and cello music, almost exclusively :-)  Try
> >Dvorak's cello concerto for starters.
> and the Doors :)
> Rebecca, who for ages thought that the Doors (and Michael Moorcock) were
> made up exclusively for Seb, and was quite surprised to find that she had
> listened to Doors music.

It has long been a minor niggle for me that in F&H the band is
consistently referred to as "Doors" rather than "The Doors" I
wonder if that was in the editing or the origianl writing. They have
always struck me as the perfect band for Seb. There's that song
with a very unsettling backing track where Jim Morrison intones, in
a voice deep as darkness, "I went down the hallway...... " and it's
about killing his parents. Just right for poor Seb's kind of family life.

Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones