And in case you hadn't heard, the Hugo Award goes to. . .

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Wed Sep 5 20:56:37 EDT 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

|. . . J.K. Rowling for _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire_.
|
|This is the first time a YA fantasy novel has ever won the Hugo for best
|novel.  (_Ender's Game_ doesn't count.)
|
|I don't know how much it matters, since the Hugo is a mark of audience
|preference rather than any critical acclaim, and we already knew people like
|HP.  But I was thinking, "Where were you people when _Fire and Hemlock_ came
|out???"

Well, Tough Guide was nominated at least (for non-fiction!) in
1997.  That award actually went to Time & Chance by L.  Sprague
de Camp.

-deborah, trying to look on the bright side, who just read an
article in Esquire (*please* don't ask why I was reading Esquire.
It was there.  I was bored.) complaining about Lemony Snickett
and J. K. Rowling and explaining that reading even trashy adult
books is better than so-called "literature" for the -- and I
quote -- "kiddies".  I believe the line was something to the
effect of "Read [insert famous name]. Read [insert famous name].
Hell, read Ludlum.  Just grow up."  I threw things.