The ideal music to read a DWJ novel to.

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Sep 5 16:50:34 EDT 2001

>  > Anne McCaffery is I think quite an accomplished singer.
>
>She trained as an opera singer, I believe, and sang professionally in
>a touring opera company for a while.
>
>>  Charles de Lint puts the music to his protagonist's songs in an
>>  appendix at the back of "The Little Country", which is a nice touch.
>(And I
>>  have still only learned to play one of them!)
>
>I'd forgotten about him, too - I think he jams with a folk group quite
>often too.
>>
>>  Who else writes books and is a musician?
>
>Mercedes Lackey sings and plays the guitar.  She has quite a nice alto
>voice.
>
>I've a notion Emma Bull is a singer, too, and Steven Brust.
>>
>>  Also with a musical theme, try "Space Opera" by Jack Vance.  The
>"Spellsinger"
>>  series by Alan Dean Foster tries hard, but doesn't quite make it in
>my opinion,
>  > but if you try it you may disagree.

Jane Yolen's son, Adam Stemple, is a musician in the Twin Cities, and
one of the members of both the Tim Molloys and Boiled in Lead. They
collaborated on music for the Great Alta books, and he also worked
with Steve Brust on music for _ Gypsy_ (by Brust & Megan Lindholm
(?)).

Ellen Kushner, the host of Sound & Spirit on public radio, is also
some variety of musician, and her _Thomas the Rhymer_ definitely has
a musical sensibility.

Susan Cooper's "what did you want to be when you grew up" was
classical pianist; she gave it up to become a writer.