The Whispering Mountain

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Sep 5 16:25:23 EDT 2001

>  > However I would add that there exist Joan Aiken James III books
>that are not
>>   part of the series above.  I have "The Whispering Mountain" but I think
>it's
>>  the
>>   sequel to another book not in that series?
>
>It reads like a sequel, but I don't think the implied first book exists.

Oh, I think you're right!  I read TWM a couple of years ago, and
nearly went demented with the sense of
I've-read-this-before/I've-read-the-book-before-this/what-HAVE-I
read?  But I was convinced there was the other book.  I wondered if
it might have been _The Winter Sleepwalker_, which appears beofre TWM
in several lists of JA books, but I checked just now and that's short
stories.

_The Whispering Mountain_ is connected to the other books, as Owen
Hughes is Dido's Captain Hughes's son.  There's also an instrument
"something between a violin and a mandolin", called a crwth.

BTW, how do people pronounce "cwidder"?

Hallie.