The ideal music to read a DWJ novel to.

Wed Sep 5 13:36:34 EDT 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:16:55 +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>I like music treated sensibly in fantasy and SF - see the Tough Guide entries on
>Song etc. for how not to treat it - and this usually means writers who are also
>musicians.

>Anne McCaffery is I think quite an accomplished singer.  Patricia McKillip is a
>pianist, and "Fool's Run" and the Riddle Master series both have plenty of music
>in them.  Charles de Lint puts the music to his protagonist's songs in an
>appendix at the back of "The Little Country", which is a nice touch.  (And I
>have still only learned to play one of them!)
>
>Who else writes books and is a musician?

I don't know if Chelsea Quinn Yarbro is a musician, but her book _A Baroque
Fable_ has notation for several of the songs within.  It's...I don't know
how to describe it, it's been too long...sort of a musical in novel form.
Very cute.

Steven Brust is a drummer.  _Phoenix_ is the only one I can think of in
which music (specifically drumming) is important.  Emma Bull is also a
musician, and _War for the Oaks_ centers on a musical group.

One of my favorites is a classic Star Trek novel by John M. Ford called _How
Much for Just the Planet?_  He writes parodies of songs by Gilbert and
Sullivan and a few others, I think, but if you don't know the originals it's
not nearly as funny.  (The book overall is pretty hilarious.)

>Of course.  How could I forget?  "The Silver Metal Lover" by Tanith Lee.  One
>day I will get around to creating a short tape of my settings of the two songs
>in that book.  When I do, copies will be available at cost.  (And first in the
>queue is Tanith Lee, from whom I got a very nice letter when I first wrote them.
><gloat>)

Wow!  How cool for you!

Melissa Proffitt